Sunday, February 22, 2009

Slumdogs Don't Get to be Millionaires

Or at least that's what most of the characters in the film suggest. A recurring theme is that slumdogs stay slumdogs, and are only allowed to do certain things. Seems to be a focus upon karma: if you are a slumdog, there must be a reason for it, and you don't really get to try to be something else until the next life. Know your position! But this comes into conflict with another thought: what is written is our destiny, and God determines what is written. Hence "God is good" being the dying words of Salim (though I'm still trying to figure out all of what's going on there). And hence the reason Jamal becomes a millionaire and finally the girl of his dreams: not karma, but rather, because it is written.

I loved the movie. Found it extremely sad and depressing and could hardly control my bawling through the credits, but it was wonderful. Though next time I watch it I might skip the latrine scene...

1 comment:

Aquajag said...

And now it has won 8 Academy awards! Not that I've watched all of the others in order to compare, but still I'd say they are well deserved.