Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Character vs. Story Arc

Or "Why I like more than ."

Monday night I was talking to a friend and fellow student about TV shows that we like (apparently we like many of the same ones), and I started wondering what it is about some shows that annoy me while others don't. I assumed "Lost" drove me crazy because the story doesn't actually go anywhere, and there's certainly some truth to that (I gave up after season 2. If it got better after that, sorry, but I'm waiting until it's done). But I assumed that was the main reason, and that since J. J. Abrams seems to have a very hard time telling a whole story, "Lost" could end very much like "Alias," which is to say, in a very dissatisfying and totally not closed way. But then it occurred to me that I love "Firefly" (and others like the new "Battle Star Galactica") despite the fact that the story line moseys about. And then there's shows like Bones where a consistent story line isn't the main point at all (well, i guess that's Firefly too). On the other hand much of the anime I like runs for one or two seasons (a few dozen episodes), has a set story, and often is judged based on the quality of the ending. "Spaced" and the original "Office" are also examples of this, and in my opinion demonstrate well that if you're going to tell a story, tell it clearly and get to the point.

So what is it about some shows that I can tolerate a lack of storyline, but with others I won't? I think it's about character. Some shows start off presenting a character or set of characters, with an initial conflict that we as viewers can assume will develop and progress but generally remain throughout the show. Buffy had vampires and various demons to kill, Firefly has the oppressive ruling jerks to avoid and various people to steal from... And then there are situational shows that have some underlying character development connected to particular character plots, but in general they address a particular situation, solve it within one episode (occasionally continued on to a second) and move on to the next topic: Bones, CSI (though I'm not the biggest fan of melodrama by any means), Law and Order, Criminal Minds, most comedies, and so forth. But when the show begins, it tries to hook viewers with characters in a setting and story. On the other hand, shows like Lost seem to focus on hooking viewers with a setting and story that has characters in it.

May seem like semantic hair-splitting because of course both kinds of characters and stories, but to me it is about where the primary focus lies. I'm OK with story focused shows, like I said, I love shows like Spaced or the British Office that do that. But they do it quickly, focused, and get to the point. With Lost, frankly, I don't care about the characters. It's true that I find most of them to be weak and annoying and pointless, but more importantly the show hooked me with its story and mystery and intrigue (just like Alias did), not with the characters. On the other hand, Firefly hooked me with characters right from the first show (by first, i mean first on the DVD's as they were meant to be seen. I missed the actually airing on TV fiasco), and I still remember Jayne counting his share of zero profits... wonderful! hilarious! I'm hooked! and guess what, Joss Whedon kept the good times rolling with wonderful characters throughout. And when the show got slammed early, finally they put out the movie to wrap things up, and he proved that he can tell a story as well. J.J. Abrams, on the other hand, moseys into season 2 of Lost and promptly axed the story, pouring molasses all over it and freezing it in place, and chose to air pointless episodes of morons trapped on an island being more concerned with their own petty needs for entertainment than basic survival. Yawn. Sorry, what now? Pthbt and moving on to better things, like Battle Star Galactica...

If you're going to tell me a story, then do it already (I think Abrams should watch "The Lookout" and "Secret Window" because they make good points: in order to tell a good story, you gotta know the ending). If you want me to be interested in characters, then start with that. But don't try to re-hook me after the show begins with lame characters in order to pointlessly prolong the airing of your show just for money. Because then I'll go around making sure that everyone knows I hate your show. And refuse to watch anything else you make. Sorry, but when you greatly disappoint me, that's what I do.

No comments: