Monday, February 22, 2010

Cards that don't exist

Today one of the chaplains said something close to this:
We don't have rituals and hallmark cards for when someone finds out that life is not going to go the way that she or he had planned, hoped, or imagined.
She said it in talking about chronic illness, how it changes our future, forces us to create a "new normal," and in general takes away our dreams of the future. We have rituals for many life events and transitions: funerals, weddings, baby showers, wakes, birthday parties. And we have cards for those too. But we don't generally have rituals or cards for "Sorry life turned out to be a bummer. Sorry those pretty standard dreams got suddenly dashed."

So I posted that quote to Facebook, and concluded with my friends that someone should make cards for that. So on occasion, I may post something that there should be a card for. Sometimes it may just be the event, or sentiment. Sometimes it may be most of the card. Sometimes serious, sometimes snarky. But they will be things that I wonder, what would happen if someone got a card for that? What if someone actually could find that card to send to someone?

3 comments:

Aquajag said...

I am VERY open to feedback on these. Whether it's your reaction to them, what you think they could say better or differently, or other card ideas that I haven't posted yet. I'd love to see them. Add them in the comments, or email them to me if you're more comfortable that way.

april said...

WHOA nelly. The abandoned one would certainly not score points.

;-) I do like the Bad Relationships ones though! :)

Aquajag said...

Yeah, "abandoned" is more about making a point than scoring points. Guess it comes across harsh....