Thursday, September 13, 2018

But the people became impatient on the way


The lectionary this week includes passages from Numbers, 1 Corinthians, and John. The passages revolve around the story of the poisonous serpents among the Israelites in the desert being a punishment for disobedience, and the Israelites being saved when they look the bronze serpent that God tells Moses to make. It doesn’t always happen with lectionary readings, but this time around all the passages work together and build on the same theme and story. It has made for great devotional reading this week.

But each time I begin my reading online, the text starts with the Old Testament reading. And this is what I see.

Numbers 21:4b-9
21:4b but the people became impatient on the way.

They were impatient with being stuck in the wilderness. First they say “there is no food and water” but then they say “and we detest this miserable food.” They are impatient with struggle, for the basic needs. But they are impatient even with what they do get, because it’s boring and bland and old

This seems to sum up much of life. 

I feel this way often enough. The journey through life is long, and at times consists of working through one routine after the other. Where is the success? Where is the glory? Where is the time to sip mojitos on the beach? And even when I’m not being that materialistic, where is the clear sign of God that the path I’m on isn’t just mindless wandering in the desert? Where is the intervention to prevent struggle rather than just barely bailing me out? If you can make food fall from the sky, O Lord, why can’t you at least vary the menu?

I don’t think God sends poisonous serpents among us every time we complain. But perhaps the poison is there in our hearts already. If I’m complaining and impatient, I am not able to enjoy what I do have. I am not recognizing the blessings I have received. And I’m annoying everyone else around me in the process, poisoning their own day and our relationships

Part of the New Testament reading for the week, 1 Corinthians 1:18 Says “For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” The ongoing tense, “being saved,” fascinates me. Looking to the cross, it is the power of God, and I am being saved. An ongoing thing. Some days I feel it more than others. And some days, I pray for patience.

In fact I do that so much, I’m starting to get impatient with it.

No comments: