Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day Nostalgia

We went and voted today! When we lived in Wilmore, we voted in the fire station, so we were in a big open garage and voted on nice, modern, electronic machines. Here we were in the fellowship hall of a church, and had to bubble in the sheets like we were doing Scantron tests. And like with Scantron’s, there was the risk of error! At least the ballot reader machine caught one, so it could be re-done… But that’s someone else’s story.

While I was waiting I saw that some of the voters were women, with small children in tow. And I remember that when I was a little kid Mom took me to the voting booth once! Instead of tiny tables with tall walls, I recall her having a booth with a curtain. And I didn’t really know what was going on, but she said she’d only be a minute. And I remember looking around, like these kids were, wondering what this was all about!

Now I get to vote, and I still wonder what it’s all about!

If you’re in the USA, I hope you had a good Election Day.

No comments: